Thursday, March 6, 2008

Free Will or Predestination?

Yesterday night I was supposed to have night class - QC replacement class by Dr. Sabar, but I skipped the class... The reason being is we have invited Pastor Ian Bunton over to our CF to speak about the title "Free Will Or Predestination?". To me, this is kind of a big topic if I would try to understand it by myself... So I was eager to listen to him..
I have met Pastor Ian once in PBBC church retreat and found that he is really a humorous man. That time he told a story about the crack pot in one of the sessions. The story is very meaningful and still stays with me till now(As I said, I am very forgetful)... He came with another young handsome Hawaiian pastor, Pastor Blaine Deloach... By the way, Pastor Ian is a Canadian. I guess both of them have been staying in M'sia for years.
He started off the sermon by telling us some church histories.. Truly speaking, this is the first time I learned about all these histories. All this while, I only knew the existence of these people. I believe he managed to teach the history class in interesting way which actually caught my attention.. I always slept in history classes.... Haha...
So the argument about free will or predestination started when John Calvin and Jacob Arminius summarized the bible differently. According to Calvinism, the salvation is limited to certain chosen people only. When you're chosen, the grace given to you is irresistible which means no matter how you will still be saved by the grace of God. On the other side, Arminianism summarized that salvation is unlimited because God loves all His people and the grace of God is resistible because you can still choose not to be saved by the grace of God... People of those time, they are either on Calvin's side or Arminius' side. Both of them summarized from the same bible and came out with two different theology. So is God contracting Himself? I agreed with Pastor Ian that we, human beings, sometimes tend to think too rationally and systematically. All these things must make sense. It is already not making sense that the Son of God would come to the earth and died for us, the sinful beings on the cross... But He did and not asking us anything to pay Him back in return.. Why is this so??

This is the second last slide of Pastor Ian's sermon which I think is a very good answer to this question:

If Christianity is a relationship...

Then God's choices are a mystery....
(Just like everyone of us, when you are in a relationship, sometimes things you would do don't make sense at all and you just don't know how this happened...)

Then we too must have a choice....
(Even when He has the ability to know the outcome...)

Then he must necessarily limit himself in order yo relate to finite human beings...

God has given us the freedom to choose... Jesus did not die on the cross to make us believe in God. But it is because of LOVE that he came and died for us... He is the Way, the Truth and the Light.. No one goes to the Father except through Him... The choice is in our hands... We can choose to turn away and say that "I don't need the Way, the Truth and the Life.. I am fine with the way I am..." But if you understand why Jesus would die for us on the cross, if you believe that He is the only Way, the only Truth and the only Light that will lead us to the Father in heaven, all you need to do is just to LOVE Him back and do what He says... God will NEVER force us to LOVE Him or OBEY His Words..... It is your choice.... But the Father in heaven is grieving and says "Choose Life.."

2 comments:

S.i.m.o.n said...

People in relationship always do things that don't make sense to people. And that's what makes it special, isn't it?

~nEw DoRy~ said...

I absolutely agree~~~ =P